Thursday, May 31, 2012

Design: Week Five

Design

Design has always been a huge source of inspiration. Before I ultimately received a BFA in studio art, I was studying graphic design and received a certificate. I couldn't deal with the impersonal nature of creating work on a computer versus actually creating something on tangible canvas, so I switched majors - but I did learn a lot and still enjoy good design practice. I will even work on commissioned design pieces as a contract designer if I absolutely have to (even though I don't really enjoy the work). I have always been drawn to design from the 1920s (i.e. Bauhaus) and its simple austerity and clean lines. I am not a fan of fancy frill and flourishes, although it has its place in the Victorian era. I really like what a lot of contemporary designers are doing nowadays, especially with gig posters - the art form of screen printing limited edition concert posters for more independent musicians. With this contemporary style, colors and shapes are once again simple, with a retro feel but distinctly new, and profoundly effective and inventive. Borrowing from these styles is how other designers can become parts of a certain movement or gain inspiration to create new movements.



Design:
Design reveals. Design reveals meaning, design reveals a message, design reveals function. Bad design does the opposite: It obscures, it hides. The reason why that almost never makes bad design art is that the subject is supposed to be revealed



Bauhaus typography

Bauhaus furniture design


 Contemporary graphic design house, Small Stakes


Small Stakes
DKNG Studios
The Bungaloo design house

No comments:

Post a Comment